As big fans of Anime and Manga, we quickly had a general idea as what kind of image we wanted to create. However, while Anime, Manga, and also Cartoons (collectively Labeled as "Anime" from here on, to reduce clutter) are some of the most stylized kind of media available, it often has to follow specific constraints in terms of stlye (it has to carter to a specific audience after all), we could just #YOLO it and do whatever we want. So in the end, we decided to combine Anime-styles with more realistic Physical-based rendering procedures to create something mostly unique. So we sat down and planned what we would like to render.
Since in proper terms, we "are [men] of culture as well", we couldn't just take any 3d model form
the internet and call it a day. Unfortunately, neither of us works as a 3d-artist on the side,
so the requirements of the anime-part of our image were as follows
1: it needed to be something we both agreed was awesome
2: we had to be able to acquire a textured 3d model from it
3: it had to be appropriate for all-ages (which actually ended up as the biggest constrain in terms of stuff you can find on the internet)
In the end, we remembered that all Koikatsu-mods (If you feel REEEEAAALLLY brave today, google it. otherwise, just follow along and replace each occurrence of it with "Blender") had to be at least creative-commons licensed to end up on my hard drive, so we spun it up and started exporting some models. We finished with combining several hair,body,skin,clothing etc. models to 2 final characters based on the awesome characters Kallen Kaslana and Yae Sakura from the mobile-game "Honkai Impact 3" (feel free to google that one as you please). After we thought we had made a good enough job (which took me about a week, but now it basically looks like we ripped it from tha Game, which of course we DID NOT! but seriously, we didn't do that), we had that settled. Since we were kind of running low on time, we were looking trough some stuff we saw in real life previously, and one of us remembered seeing a small tunnel near his hometown, which had some graffiti applied to it that was basically fluorescent. We ended up taking that idea, and expanding on it to a real highway-tunnel. This ended up opening a few curious possibilities. For instance, since cars are moving at high speed, we could make that a part of the graffiti by taking advantage of motion-blur. Now we just needed an idea as to what kind of graffiti we wanted. One of us joked that since Kallen and Sakura are lesbian, we could just take the rainbow flag. What a stupid idea that was. Like, really, who would do such a thing? Now, since our number one yuri pair is too awesome to just drive everyone and their grandma's BMW, we ended up putting them on a Harley. Fun times getting that triangle count down from 7M+ to less that 300k without degrading quality. Yuck. But well worth it.
Technical Details: The reference image was produced on my desktop machiene, rocking an
I7firstname.lastname@example.orgGHZ, 16GB DDDR4-2133 RAM, and finished in ca. 10 hours and 37 minutes
This pretty much concludes our presentation. I hope you liked the images and the descriptions we gave. If my wacky sense of humor or the numerous references caught you off-guard, well, I'm sorry.
If you find any spelling mistakes, layout issues, or stuff that you think could be much better with more effort, please keep in mind that I'm hearing 7 lectures this semester, and had to pull 4 all-nighters in a row for this. And it still ended like this